- •NICU data infrastructures need to be improved.
- •The use of the latest bedside technology can greatly benefit and inform current clinical care.
- •Adoption of contemporary medical informatics tools, including machine learning, will allow practitioners to improve patient outcomes.
- •Higher resolution, real-time data acquisition is not yet widely available in the NICU but will need to be available for next-generation medical informatics.
- •Using non-linear, dynamical systems and information theory metrics applied to longitudinal data is an unexplored opportunity.
- •The use of machine learning in elucidating multi-systemic neonatal diseases will be the next step for improving outcome for very sick babies in the NICU.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Seminars in Fetal and Neonatal Medicine
- (National Institutes of Health (NIH))NIH proposes critical initiatives to sustain future of U.S. biomedical research. 2015https://www.nih.gov/news-events/nih-proposes-critical-initiatives-sustain-future-us-biomedical-research
- (White House Precision Medicine Initiative. The White House)
- Adenosine A$_2A$ receptors mediate GABAergic inhibition of respiration in immature rats.2004
- Adenosine A2A receptors mediate GABAergic inhibition of respiration in immature rats.J Appl Physiol. 2006; 100: 91-97
- What to do about apnea of prematurity?.J Appl Physiol. 2009; 107: 1015-1016
- Apnea of prematurity.Compr Physiol. 2012; 2: 2923-2931
- Vagal afferents modulate cytokine-mediated respiratory control at the neonatal medulla oblongata.Respir Physiol Neurobiol. 2011; 178: 458-464
- Lung inflammation induces IL-1β expression in hypoglossal neurons in rat brainstem.Respir Physiol Neurobiol. 2013; 188: 21-28
- Vagal nerve stimulation attenuates IL-6 and TNFα expression in respiratory regions of the developing rat brainstem.Respir Physiol Neurobiol. 2016; 229: 1-4
- The relationship between patterns of intermittent hypoxia and retinopathy of prematurity in preterm infants.Pediatr Res. 2012; 72: 606-612
- The relationship between intermittent hypoxemia events and neural outcomes in neonates.Exp Neurol. 2021; 342113753
- Physiologic basis for intermittent hypoxic episodes in preterm infants.Adv Exp Med Biol. 2012; 758: 351-358
- Pre-Vent: the prematurity-related ventilatory control study.Pediatr Res. 2019; 85: 769-776
- Machine learning for child and adolescent health: a systematic review.Pediatrics. 2021; 147
- Clinical neurology: why this still matters in the 21st century.J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2015; 86: 229-233
- Technology and mental health: the role of artificial intelligence.Eur Psychiatr. 2019; 55: 1-3
- Machine learning models for predicting neonatal mortality: a systematic review.Neonatology. 2021; 118: 394-405
- Fundamentals of clinical data science. Springer, 2019
- Methodologic guidance and expectations for the development and reporting of prediction models and causal inference studies.Ann. Am. Thorac. Soc. 2020; 17: 679-682
- Transparent reporting of a multivariable prediction model for individual prognosis or diagnosis (TRIPOD): the TRIPOD Statement.BMC Med. 2015; 13: 1
- Predictably unequal: understanding and addressing concerns that algorithmic clinical prediction may increase health disparities.Npj Digit. Med. 2020; 3: 1-8
- Defining necrotizing enterocolitis: current difficulties and future opportunities.Pediatr Res. 2020; 88: 10-15
- Premature birth and developmental programming: mechanisms of resilience and vulnerability.Front Psychiatr. 2021; 11: 1515
- Clinical trials of medicines in neonates: the influence of ethical and practical issues on design and conduct.Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2015; 79: 370-378
- Clinical applications of machine learning algorithms: beyond the black box.BMJ. 2019; 364: l886
- Approximate entropy and sample entropy: a comprehensive tutorial.Entropy. 2019; 21: 541
- The application of the extended Poincaré plot in the analysis of physiological variabilities.Front Physiol. 2019; 10: 116
- Wavelet coherence analysis of dynamic cerebral autoregulation in neonatal hypoxic–ischemic encephalopathy.NeuroImage Clin. 2016; 11: 124-132
- Precision medicine in neonates: a tailored approach to neonatal brain injury.Front. Pediatr. 2021; 9634092
- Data acquisition and complex systems analysis in critical care: developing the intensive care unit of the future.J. Healthc. Eng. 2010; 1: 337-355
- (TechnologyAdvice)Cerner vs epic: top EHR vendors 2021. 2021
- Insider Intelligence) (
- Implementation of a cloud-based electronic patient-reported outcome (ePRO) platform in patients with advanced cancer.J. Patient-Rep. Outcomes. 2021; 5: 91
- Cloud computing data processing to optimize the effect of drugs.J. Healthc. Eng. 2021; 20215560691
- Using cloud-based, open-source technology to evaluate, improve, and rapidly disseminate community-based intervention data.J. Am. Med. Inform. Assoc. JAMIA. 2020; 27: 1741-1746
- Light-weight electrophysiology hardware and software platform for cloud-based neural recording experiments.J Neural Eng. 2021; https://doi.org/10.1088/1741-2552/ac310a
- Barriers to the digitization of health information: a qualitative and quantitative study in Kenya and Lao PDR using a cloud-based maternal and child registration system.Int J Environ Res Publ Health. 2021; 18: 6196
Shull, J. G. Digital Health and the State of Interoperable Electronic Health Records | EndNote Click. https://click.endnote.com/viewer?doi=10.2196%2F12712&token=WzIxMzY1OTksIjEwLjIxOTYvMTI3MTIiXQ.cv7jZ_L6daYqaSyqmJCDFtsY2qI.
- Digital health and the state of interoperable electronic health records.JMIR Med. Inform. 2019; 7e12712
- Adoption of electronic health records and barriers.J Community Hosp Intern Med Perspect. 2016; 6https://doi.org/10.3402/jchimp.v6.32643
- (The Strengths and Weaknesses of the HL7 FHIR Messaging Standard | Open Health News)
- (How to Prepare for the API Requirements of the Cures Act | Open Health News)
- Minimally invasive transforaminal lumbar interbody fusion (MI-TLIF): surgical technique, long-term 4-year prospective outcomes, and complications compared with an open TLIF cohort.Neurosurg Clin. 2014; 25: 279-304
- Usability of data integration and visualization software for multidisciplinary pediatric intensive care: a human factors approach to assessing technology.BMC Med Inf Decis Making. 2017; 17: 122